Sunday, January 03, 2010

attention for the girls

Yesterday Jessica was leaving in the van and I gave her a kiss and a hug.  Then she pulled out a bit and stopped, rolling down the window to say: "Madeline wants a hug, too".  I went over to give Madeline a hug and a kiss and I realized that she wanted attention  because she just saw me being sweet to Jess.

It reminded me how girls model relationships with men on how daddy treats mommy, and why being sweet to my wife is more than just about how I may feel on a particular day.  I'm also setting the bar for future boyfriends and a spouse.  So instead of complaining 20 years from now about how I don't think Madeline's boyfriend is up to snuff, my best defense is to show them the minimal standard in myself now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home